TORONTO — The ban on American booze has emerged as a key sticking point in Canada’s trade negotiations with the United States, but some shoppers in Ontario say they won’t reach for California wine or Kentucky bourbon even if they reappear on store shelves. The ban has been in place at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and in most other provinces since 2025, in retaliation for President Donald Trump’s tariffs. Toronto resident Peter Olson said he won’t be buying any American alcohol if Ontario Premier Doug Ford decides to reverse course as the federal government seeks to secure a deal to avert new U.S.
tariffs and address existing ones on steel, forestry and auto industries. “I’m not buying it … I haven’t really missed it, so I think it’ll be all right,” Olson said outside a downtown LCBO store on Thursday. “We’ve all sort of replaced everything with Canadian products, and there’s really nothing from the States that’s super special that’s going to make a big difference,” he added.
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said Thursday that Prime Minister Mark Carney “effectively” told premiers in a briefing that there will be no trade deal without a pledge to restock U.S. Kinew said that if the alcohol returns to Canadian shelves, people should “leave it there.” Ford has been silent on the issue so far this week, but recently said that he’s open to bringing back American liquor if there’s a “fair deal” that protects sectors hit hard by tariffs, especially those in Ontario. Alberta and Saskatchewan previously dropped their U.S.
Marquita Stewart counts herself among those who are “absolutely, positively against” the return of American labels to Canadian shelves. “We need to think about what the American president is doing to our country, and I have not a chance in the world that I’m going to support anything American. So yes, there should be pushback,” she said.
Shanna Nozdryn isn’t opposed to keeping the ban in place if it helps drive “bigger change” at the negotiating table, but admits she misses some American drinks. “I’m happy to support Canadian any time, but I’m definitely missing the bourbon and having those nice sips at the end of the day. You definitely can’t match the U.S.
Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham said all premiers agreed to bring back U.S. booze in their call with Carney, but Ford has not confirmed th…
Summary from source