HomeAmericas

US teen drops lawsuit against Meta, Google and Snap ahead of trial

Americas 2 sources 2 countries 🔦 Under-reported 31m ago

A teen girl whose lawsuit was a test case ​in litigation accusing social media companies of deliberately addicting young people and fueling a mental health crisis dropped her ‌claims against the owners of Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat on Thursday, according to a court filing. The plaintiff, a 15-year-old girl from New Jersey identified in California court records as P. M-Y., had alleged the platforms’ owners — Meta Platforms, Google and Snap Inc — contributed to her social media addiction, depression and self-harm.

The companies said ​she dropped her claims without any payment. TikTok, which was also a defendant in her case, had previously settled her claims. Emily Jeffcott, an ​attorney for P.M-Y., said in a statement her client chose to dismiss the remainder of her claims out of a desire ⁠to resume her life.

She “initiated this process with the goal of holding social media companies accountable and to push for changes to protect ​young people like herself,” Jeffcott said. Meta, owner of Facebook and Instagram, is defending itself at two trials over claims from states that it designed its ​platforms to be addictive to children and misled the public about their safety. One trial, which began this week and deals with the claims of 29 states, is proceeding in federal court in Oakland, California, while another, over claims brought by Tennessee, is ongoing in state court in Nashville.

The lawsuits are among thousands brought by individuals, states and ​school districts against social media companies over claims their platforms harm children. The companies have denied the allegations and say they take extensive ​steps to keep teens and young users safe on their platforms. M-Y.’s lawsuit was among more than 3,300 personal injury cases brought by individuals that ‌were consolidated ⁠in California state court in Los Angeles.

It was selected as one of three “bellwether” or test cases scheduled to go to trial in October. Attorneys often use bellwether verdicts to gauge how juries may view similar claims, helping them assess the potential value of remaining cases and guide settlement negotiations. “This plaintiff had a significant mental health condition that predated her use of social media, and it’s clear that many of these cases ​fit the same pattern,” Meta ​said in a statement, adding that ⁠it would vigorously defend against the remainin…

Teen drops claims against Meta, YouTube and Snap without payment, while two other bellwether cases remain set for trial in October. (EPA Images pic)SACRAMENTO: A teen girl whose lawsuit was a test case in litigation accusing social media companies of deliberately addicting young people and fueling a mental health crisis dropped her claims against the owners of Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat on Thursday, according to a court filing.The plaintiff, a 15-year-old girl from New Jersey identified in California court records as P.

Summary from source
Read the full story at the source MyJoyOnline (Accra, Ghana) · GH
Get the news on TelegramTop stories & under-reported picks, straight to your feed — free. Join →

Covered by 2 sources